Our latest adventure: Day 5
After I posted about our brand new kitchen adventure last week, Derek started tearing it up (literally AND figuratively!). He started demo-ing on Saturday, making today the fifth day of our Latest Adventure: The Kitchen Edition (it's now an official name).
I was away from Saturday to Tuesday evening staying with my wonderful boss's 10-year-old (also wonderful) son. We went to the zoo and the bookstore, went out to eat a couple of times, played Wii, and all kinds of other nonsense... it was great!
Well, by Tuesday, reality set in, and it was time for me to assume my duties as foreman and facilitator of our job site. As the foreman, my duties include managing the timeline (in Excel, duh), ensuring we are on schedule, and making a stink if we are not on schedule. As the facilitator, my duties include handing Derek whatever tool he needs (keeping in mind that 80% of the time I don't know what said tool looks like), holding things, carrying trash out to the wheel barrow, cleaning up messes, and bragging about how awesome I am at facilitating.
Here are a couple of pictures Derek took while I was gone, showing the first half of the demolition process in which he took down the wall and cabinets which held the sink and dishwasher.
Step 1: cabinets down
Step 2: wall down (including gross backsplash)
I arrived home to find Derek working at the demolition, put on my work clothes and rolled up my sleeves (except I was wearing short sleeves, but you know what I mean). We quickly finished the demolition, and now our kitchen looks like this:
We found these in the innards of the cabinets... proof that our kitchen is AT LEAST 36 years old (but probably original, making it 62 years old). This is a church directory from 1976 and a very old notebook full of doodling.





Ummm - WOW! You guys are really getting it done! I can't wait to see it when it's done. Good luck - keep us posted. Mom -
ReplyDelete