Brownersen Garden: Day 28
Once again, it's been an eventful week in the garden! The big growers this week include the corn (doubled once again!) and the zucchini. We have harvested more lettuce, some kale, and some scallions. I used the kale in a salad... Derek said he thought it was a bit thick, and I agree, but I like that it contrasts with the lettuce, and it is way easier than steaming or whatever one does with kale. As far as the scallions go, they don't always make it into the photos and I don't really post about it, but I bought them because they are perennial... the gift that keeps giving!
Some other blog-worthy happenings:
- We have weeds! We had weeds before, but this week there are a ton more... they are still very small (from .5" to about 3"... no I didn't measure them!), so I am just trying to pick some every time I water. The thing about taking weekly photos of your garden is it gives you an incentive to keep it weeded!
- Derek built a trellis for the zucchini... I am uncertain how zucchini will climb a trellis, but I'm leaving that up to Derek.
- We basically confirmed that our zucchini was actually 4 zucchini plants, so we removed 2 of them. Sad!
- The sweet potatoes finally have some new growth! It seems to be growing from the top, if that makes sense, and it's almost vine-y. Strange...
Anyway, here are some whole garden photos:
Here is our corn (from a new perspective this time!), and as I mentioned, it doubled again! It was 16" today after being 7.5" last week. Well on our way to "knee high by 4th of July"! (Or is it "thigh high"? Maybe it is thigh high in Nebraska since it is further south... hmmm...)
Here are tomatoes and tomatillos. The tomatillos are 23" tall this week, up 4" from last week. Our tomato was 25" today, up 7" from last week!
Here you can see the zucchini, pepper, and tomatoes. The zucchini was 17" stem to leaf, 7" longer than last week! The sweet pepper was 7.5", up .75" from last week.
Here is the cauliflower, which is 10" tall this week, up 4.75" from last week!!
Here we have the sweet potatoes, the blue potatoes, the Jenny Lind melon, the eggplant, and the kale. As I mentioned, the sweet potatoes haven't really grown at all.
The blue potatoes measured 18" tall this week, up 4.25" from last week, although it is kind of lopsided right now.
The Jenny Lind was 10" tall this week, up 3.5" from last week.
The eggplant has officially become a vine and is therefore growing out and not up. It is 16" from stem to leaf, but I don't think it's really fair to compare that from last week.
Finally, the kale is 17" tall after being 7" last week (I know I measured this correctly... the leaves have really taken off!).
Here are the two plants that we took out today. I'm kind of sad about it, but I think it was a good choice because it would have been even worse if the concentration of zucchinis would have messed up all of the plants, and the sprawl of zucchini could also have taken over the other plants.
Here are the two zucchini, missing their other two zucchini friends.






No comments:
Post a Comment