Our Latest Adventure: Day 11
So I know I just updated on the kitchen two days ago, but a lot has happened in that time! I figured the action in the past couple of days really deserved it's own post.
On Monday, Derek took a half day and I stopped working early. We attacked the subfloor after having installed half of it the night before.
With that done, we really wanted to get the Durock started since that was supposed to be done by Monday! Well, this is all we got done... but I'm glad we put our heads together and figured it out, even though we were basically going crazy from exhaustion.
Then, John happened. John is a friend that we met through Derek's boss... he is a remodeling guru. He was called in specifically to help with tile, but turns out he does a lot more. He arrived by 8:30, and by noon or so they had sheetrock up and the Durock completely finished. WOW! I was impressed.
The afternoon was spent tiling. John helped us get 60% of the floor tiled AND taught Derek and Derek's cousin Mark (who is here helping us for the week) how to cut tile, tay tile, mix mortar, etc.
Meanwhile, I painted cabinets in the basement and worked for the morning.
This is the tile by the end of the day. As I said, it's about 60% done. It looks a bit funny in this picture because it's got the dirty mortar water on it. We aren't supposed to walk on it for 24 hours or so, but after that, we'll clean it up and get it looking spiffy.
WOW! Seriously, I'm so glad we had John come over, and it's so great that Mark is here for the next week to help out. While I am a big proponent of doing things yourself (even though I have very few skills to actually DO it myself), I think having a little help is fabulous (particularly because now I can get some work done and not feel guilty :)).
Well, there's the update! Now it's time to go to sleep on time tonight as we've had WAY too many late nights recently.









No comments:
Post a Comment