Sunday, June 17, 2012

Our Latest Adventure: Day 9


Well, we have been working on the kitchen for nine days now, and it's safe to say that there is no trace left of the old kitchen. Don't get me wrong, it is a great feeling and I love getting ready for our new kitchen, but I'd be lying if I said there hadn't been times when I freaked out a bit and thought "Oh, God, what are we doing?? Do we really know how to get ourselves out of this?" Anyway, as the facilitator & foreman, I can tell you that we are slightly behind schedule (not to mention a bit over budget). Today we are pretty much doing Saturday's task (put in the new subfloor), and tomorrow we will be doing the task which was planned for Sunday (put down Durock in preparation for the tile floor). However, that schedule was made by two people who have NEVER remodeled a kitchen. So I'm not too shocked that our timeline was a bit unrealistic...

Anywho. Now, I'll take you on a photo tour of the major happenings since Wednesday.

On Wednesday, we pulled up our lovely vinyl flooring to reveal this gorgeous flooring. I remember that it was very difficult to tear up (although it was only five days ago it feels like a lifetime). 


Voila! This is what it looked like after we got that taken down. 


On Friday, we worked hard tearing up the wood planks that were under the vinyl on the other side. I really enjoyed this... I think I am meant to pry up flooring for a living or at the very least something having to do with a pry bar. Oooo! AND, our cabinets arrived!!


Here it is when we went to sleep on Friday night...



On Friday night, we also looked at about a zillion different shades of white! Not to give it away or anything, but I think we found the perfect one!


Saturday was an interesting day... after weighing our two choices of ripping up our plank subfloor (and patching it) versus replacing it with new plywood, we decided to rip it up and replace it. Although I am very happy with our decision, I do think that this is where we got off schedule. However, we did have the whole subfloor up by Saturday night.


Today (Sunday), Derek spent the first part of the day making a table for his chop saw (see below... very fancy!), and then we cut reinforcements for the parts of the subfloor around the edge of the room that were NOT cut.  (See below... we had to haul this beast inside because it was raining.)



Meanwhile, I spent a good part of the day painting cabinet fronts. And here they are in Swiss Coffee!


We also went and purchased the Durock, which will hopefully go down tomorrow, and all the supplies that goes along with it. 

Well, I'd better go! It's already late, and Derek and I are about to secure our subfloor! More pictures to come... we are safely out of the demolition phase, and it feels great!

No comments:

Post a Comment