Brownersen Garden: Day 51
Well, the harvesting stage of our garden has definitely started! This week saw, unfortunately, the end of our lettuce (I don't think 90+ temps and lettuce really go together), but we are continuing to harvest kale. Also, we picked our first tomato! This week or next, we should also have eggplant, zucchini, and peppers ready to go. Of course, there are lots of flowers all around the garden, and I have started to notice that bees are frequenting the garden more often now. It was slightly awkward navigating the garden this morning while bees buzzed around me, but I assume that they are pollinating which is a good thing (right?!?)!
Also, the projected dates for harvesting that I put in my very first blog entry are apparently wrong for all but the corn. Apparently the number of days to maturity starts from a seed, and of course we had little baby plants. So I'm guessing that I should really move all of those dates up by about 2-3 weeks. This would mean that our cauliflower is behind (there is no sign of little baby cauliflowers!) as well as the eggplant (although we have babies), and that the melons should be ready any day now. And it also means that it's not so strange that our early tomato (60 days to maturity) turned out its first tomatoes this week.
Anywho, pictures!
Here is our first tomato, brought to use by the Glacier tomato plant (it has the shortest number of days to maturity -- 60).
Below is a bumble bee that was hanging out on our eggplant when I got to the garden. It is in the center of the photo but you'd probably have to enlarge it to see!
Here is our corn... it is 48" tall this week, 11" taller than last week. It has now overtaken the tomatillos and tomatoes!
Here is a zucchini flower... we have about half a dozen zucchinis that are between 3" and 4" long. Won't be long now! The plant is about 34" from stem to leaf, 4" longer than last week!
Here are the tomatillos (they are so big and running together that it is very difficult to get a good photo), they are 47" tall, 9.5" taller than last week! No tomatillos yet!
Here is one of our tomatoes... it is 47.5" tall, 9.5" taller than last week. Each tomato plant except this one has little tomatoes on it.
Here is our cauliflower at 19" tall, 2" taller than last week. This one seems to be a bit late, and no cauliflowers in sight!
Here is our sweet pepper. If you click on the photo and look in the middle, you can see that there is a baby pepper there! It is 19" tall and 5" taller than last week.
Here is a hot pepper plant... not sure which one. I'll let the Texan figure that out! Do you see the peppers on it?? It is 19" tall, 2.5" taller than last week.
Here is the kale, which I'm not really measuring anymore as we are harvesting it.
This photo shows our melon vine and all blue potato. It was meant to show how the melon vine is just taking over!! Once again, I did not even attempt to measure it! The blue potato is about 36" long and the sweet potato vine is about 32" long.
Lastly, here is the eggplant. It is 23" tall after being 22" tall last week. Do you see the small eggplants?
Here they are! Aren't they pretty?? (They are not your typical dark purple eggplant!)
















No comments:
Post a Comment