Sunday, May 20, 2012

Brownersen's Garden 2012: Day 9


Derek and I have been caring for our little plants quite a bit this week, mostly in the form of watering (twice daily), as it has been quite dry. Today we pulled our first weeds (just a few) -- they had crept in on the edge near the rhubarb and corn. We got a good amount of rain yesterday and today, and the plants were looking very perky today for their picture-taking session! Derek declared that he'd like to fertilize, and I am not so sure. I am going to do some research, but if anyone has ideas of how to fertilize a garden without introducing bad chemicals, I would be interested to know!

By the way, this week I'm including information on how much the plants have grown. These estimates are approximate, since it's difficult precisely to measure plants! Also, in all applicable cases, I included the photo from last week (either above or to the left of the photo from this week). Makes for a long post, but I think it's worth it!

And now, here is our garden, again from all 4 corners. Does anyone see any differences from last week??

View #1:



View #2:




View #3:




View #4:





Here is the sweet corn that we planted last week. I couldn't believe it, but I noticed teeny tiny corn plants this morning! I remember planting about 10-12 seeds, and Derek and I counted about 8 little plants. We'll see if any more pop up! 


Since last Monday, the corn has grown approximately 1.5" (from 0" to 1.5"):



Here is one our tomatillo plants. Since last Monday, this tomatillo has grown approximately 1.5" (from 13.5" to 15"):


Here is one of the 4 tomato plants... this one is the Red German. (I know I posted the Red Zebra last week, but I did take measurements on the Red German, so now you can see that one!)


Since last Monday, the Striped German tomato has grown approximately 1.5" (from 10" to 11.5"):


Here is one of the 4 cauliflower plants. Since last Monday, the cauliflower has grown approximately 1" (from 3.5" to 4.5"):


Here is my pretty purple pepper plant! Since last Monday, it has grown approximately 0" (3.5" both times). However, it does appear to have added more leaves since last week!


Here is one of the other unidentified pepper plants (the same one from last week of course). Since last Monday, this pepper has grown approximately 0.5" (from 5" to 5.5"):


Here is 1 of the 4 sweet potato plants. Since last Monday, this sweet potato plant has grown approximately 0.5" (from 3" to 3.5"). However, with a potato, I assume that most of the growth happens under the soil... Right?


Here are the all-blue potatoes. Since last Monday, this has grown approximately .25" (from 9" to 9.25"):


And here is our eggplant plant... Since last Monday, the eggplant has grown approximately 1" (from 4" to 5"):


Here is our Jenny Lind melon... Since last Monday, the melon has grown approximately 1.5" (from 3" to 4.5"):


Here are our lettuce varieties. Since last Monday, the lettuce has grown approximately 0" (4" both times):


Here is the kale; independent of the height estimate, this has definitely sprouted a few new leaves since last week! Since last Monday, the kale has grown approximately 1" (from 5" to 6"):


Here is the zucchini, of which I did not take a photo last week. I did measure it last week, though, and since last Monday, it has grown approximately 1" (from 2" to 3"):


No comments:

Post a Comment