Brownersen Garden 2012: Day 2
Derek and I planted our new and improved 2012 garden over the weekend! Derek built a 13' by 16' garden box, then we wheeled about 15 zillion loads of dirt (4 yards of dirt, actually) into the box. I shopped for the plants at a plant sale this weekend, and we planted them this weekend with the help of my parents. Finally, Derek and my dad put a fence up to keep out pesky critters (I'm talking to you, rabbits and squirrels!!). I'm hoping to blog the growth of our garden this summer (possibly weekly?), and I know you'll probably want to read about it so I'll try to be good about being consistent.
And now, without further ado, I present our garden!
(Note: a few things I forgot to take pictures of during week 1 but are in our garden: rhubarb and zucchini)
Here is the whole garden, from all 4 corners:
(Note: a few things I forgot to take pictures of during week 1 but are in our garden: rhubarb and zucchini)
Here is the whole garden, from all 4 corners:
Here is our sweet corn that we planted from seed (you'll have to trust me on this one)! Based on our seed packet, this should be ready around July 24:
Here is one of our four tomatillo plants. Our first round of tomatillos should be ready in 90 days, or around August 10:
Here is one of our four heirloom tomato varieties (this one happens to be Red Zebra, but we also have Glacier, Nyagous, and Striped German). Glaciers are early and should be ready by around July 11, and the others should be ready starting around July 31:
This is one of our four cauliflower plants. These should be ready around July 16:
This is a bell pepper that I planted; they will be purple! These should be ready starting around July 23!
We have five other peppers that were in a hot pepper variety pack that includes poblanos (mmm... chile relleno!), serranos, jalepeƱos, and a couple of others. I don't know which is which! These should be ready around July 23 as well.
This is one of our four sweet potato plants. These should be ready the latest -- around August 20!
This is another variety of potato. These will be small and blue on the inside and outside. These should also be ready around August 20.
This vine should give us smallish eggplants beginning around July 13.
This vine is a Jenny Lind melon. Our melons should start to be ready by around July 21.
Here are about six varieties of lettuce. These should be ready around July 9:
Here is our kale (we have four of these). This should be ready around July 6. Fourth of July kale, anyone?












No comments:
Post a Comment