Saturday, August 11, 2012

Making Zucchini Pancakes...


Wow, two posts in one day! I almost included these photos in the last post, but then decided that it was overkill. So I am devoting a whole post to chronicling the making of zucchini pancakes. See, right now we have about 6 ripe zucchinis waiting to be used, and though I love grilled or sautéed zucchini as much as anyone, I figured it was time to try something new. Luckily a friend sent me this recipe (thanks, Braden!), and I finally got around to trying it. 

First, here is the link to zucchini bread pancakes, and the person who writes this blog surely takes much better photos than I! http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/07/zucchini-bread-pancakes/

Here are all of the ingredients but the zucchini... (p.s., many recipes call for mixing dry and wet ingredients separately, but I never do! Sometimes it makes me feel lazy, but also very green for saving the water. :))


There's the batter... it was pretty thin.


Then I added 2 cups of shredded zucchini (allowed me to use about 2/3 of one of my many zucchinis).


Tada! Definitely was a more normal consistency at this point.


There they are on the stove. I also followed the blog author's suggestion to stick them in the oven. However, when we make pancakes and stick them in the oven, we don't really time it... just use it as a holding spot while the rest of the pancakes are cooking.


And there they are! You are looking at three pancakes right there. Derek and I each had three, and we had four leftover. So, the recipe made 10 pancakes. I used about 1/4 to 1/3 cup for each one. Also, despite the thinner batter, the pancakes could have been a little more done. 


I had lined the loaf pan with foil in order to keep the pancakes in the oven as mentioned above. I let the four leftover pancakes cool completely on the foil, then used it to wrap them up and stick them in the freezer. I will probably make another batch or three with another zucchini and freeze more.

And that was zucchini pancakes!


2 comments:

  1. Shawna, I think your photos are perfect and regarding the pancakes, I haven't gone to the blog yet to see the ingredients, but are these sweet? Just wondering if you had them for breakfast or dinner, in any case they look really scrumptious and healthy! You might remember when I made those thin Swedish pancakes when you all were here for breakfast awhile back, it's one of Derek's favorites that I make for him and it reminded me that I hadn't had pancakes of any kind since you all were last here and suddenly I've got a craving for pancakes! My griddle is sitting up on top of my frig gathering dust so I hope you al will pay me a visit soon and I will fire it up due to your inspiring me to cook, thank you Shawna. Love you! P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Peggy,

    Yup! These are sweet (sweeter since I doubled the sugar from 2 T to 1/4 c per recipe... :)). Derek brought home a savory recipe at one point though that I haven't tried... I'm a sucker for sweet stuff I guess!

    Yeah, we make pancakes or some kind of out of the ordinary breakfast most weekends I'd say... Derek definitely enjoys it!

    Love you too! Hope you're doing well,

    ~Shawna

    ReplyDelete